Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Happiness

Psalm 1 begins:

Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked,
or take the paths that sinners tread,
or sit in the seat of scoffers;

but their delight
is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law
they meditate day and night.

They are like trees
planted by streams of water,
which yield their fruit in its season,
and their leaves do not wither.


This text caught my attention because so often I ponder what it will take to make me happy...to make my family happy...to bring others happiness for which they so long?

I'm trying to take this in...it seems so antithetical to our typical thoughts about happiness...

If I don't take advice from those who don't live well, or in ways I respect...
If I don't follow behaviors of those who do wrong
If I don't stand in judgement of others or secretly look down at others
...this will bring happiness?

If I think about God's teachings...which Jesus said were summed up in:

"Love the Lord your God
with all your heart,
your mind, and your soul
and love your neighbor as yourself."


And if I take joy in such beliefs
...this will bring happiness?

THEN

I will be like a truly living creature
always near my source of life
and good, positive, creative, nourishing things
will come from me?

I'm still pondering this....O God, help me take it in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home